Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Some quilty inspiration




I have become kind of obsessed with star quilts and have started hand piecing one for myself to put on an empty wall in our stairwell. My fabrics are more civil war looking kind of prints though. The hand piecing is much simpler than I thought it would be after reading Quiltmaking by Hand by Jinny Beyer. I love her fabrics and her books. A friend that I used to work with at my old job learned to make quilts and took classes with Jinny Beyer way back when. In the late 90's and the early part of 2000 she tried to interest me in learning to make quilts, however, it was lost on me at the time.

I have been trying to keep on handpiecing since I broke my ankle and was supposed to keep my feet up a lot, but it has been hard to sit and do much at one time. I am not a sit around kind of person. I have also began piecing nine-patch quilt blocks after seeing a beautiful quilt at a quilt shop in our area that carries a whole wall of civil war reproduction fabrics. So my blocks are coming together slowly but surely. When I figure out how to use my little Kodak camera to take a picture that doesn't have that terrible glare I will put up my star quilt center and my nine-patches!

No comments:

Post a Comment